Match Report – Barrow 0-3 Bromley

Match Report - Barrow 0-3 Bromley

Our match report from Saturday’s defeat to Bromley at the FBSS.

Barrow: Moore, Barthram, Diagne, Dunne, Bignot, Panayiotou, Gomis, Clements, Yussuf, Harrison, Bauress
Subs: Dixon, Makoma, Holt, White, Fitzpatrick
71: White replaced Harrison
74: Holt replaced BauressBromley: Gregory, Rees, Holland, Raymond, Mekki, Higgs, Johnson, Sterling, Wanadio, Johnson, Dennis

Subs: Allen, Wynter, Porter, Sutherland, Vose
55: Sutherland replaced Raymond
64: Porter replaced Dennis
76: Vose replaced WanadioGOALS: Raymond (24), Wanadio (59), Vose (81)

On a cold, blustery afternoon at the Furness Building Society Stadium, a frantic first five minutes first saw Bromley’s Roger Johnson heading wide from a Frankie Raymond free kick. A good header forward by Tyrone Sterling was then fired across Barrow’s goal by Louis Dennis. At the other end, Harry Panayiotou struck wide from the edge of the area before a cross by Bromley’s Adam Mekki was punched away by Stuart Moore.Almost 20 minutes passed by before the next goal-scoring opportunity as both sides waited for the first error. This was provided by Byron Harrison who gave the ball away to Dennis, who was then tripped near the edge of the area. A well-worked free kick in the 24th minute saw Frankie Raymond pass sideways before firing the returned ball into the left corner.

Bromley continued to press. In the 32nd minute, a Mekki cross was put out for the first corner of the game, Moore then saving from Mekki’s kick. A couple of minutes later, Mekki had a close range shot blocked by Moore, another goal-line clearance being then required before the danger passed.

Ten minutes before half-time, the industrious Bedsente Gomis was brought down by Raymond, giving Barrow a free kick in a similar position to the one from which Bromley scored. However, Bradley Bauress’s shot was blocked by the wall. A long-range Paul Bignot shot was then easily saved before the Bluebirds faced another free kick. After Mekki was fouled, Dennis’s 40th minute 20 yarder was first blocked and Moore then did well to punch away a shot from the rebound.

Barrow’s first corner came two minutes later after a Bartham cross was cleared. However, Bauress’s kick curled into the Holker Street supporters.

As half time approached, another wayward Barrow pass was intercepted. A resultant ball forward was cleared for a Raymond corner, a close-range header requiring a good Moore save to keep the score at 0-1.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first but we did at least have more chances on goal. The first came less than five minutes in as Panayiotou was fouled by Mekki. Chris Clements’ 25 yard free kick from the right was put out for a corner, Adi Yussuf then shooting wide. Frankie Sutherland then replaced Raymond for the visitors but in the 57th minute, Barrow had another scoring opportunity as Panayiotou’s ball into the area was drilled into the right post by Harrison.

Two minutes later, Bromley doubled their lead as a breakaway right through Barrow’s defence gave Luke Wanadio a close range shot which went just inside the right post.

In the 65th minute, just after George Porter replaced Dennis for Bromley, Harrison had another shot blocked from a Bauress cross- a frustrating afternoon for Barrow’s No.20.

With twenty minutes remaining, Barrow finally matched Bromley’s two substitutions. Jordan White first replacing Harrison and then Grant Holt coming on for Bauress. Dominic Vose then came on for goalscorer Wanadio, little suspecting he would soon also be on the scoresheet.

Barrow first made another foray forward, a ball from Tony Diagne being headed down by Clements and saved by David Gregory. In the 81st minute, Vose took a long range free kick from the left, the ball ending up in the right corner of Moore’s net for 0-3.

Four minutes later, Moore denied another goal-scoring from Vose. However, in the 87th minute, man-of-the-match Gomis was unlucky not to score a consolation goal as his shot was punched away by Gregory. A Clements corner was then headed over and in the last minute of time added, a Gomis corner was punched away.

The score remained 0-3 to end a roller-coaster week on a down; on the plus side, six points out of nine isn’t bad! Barrow remain in 19th place as we face 17th placed FC Halifax away next Saturday.

Our thanks to Derek for the report.