Match Report: Barrow 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

Match Report: Barrow 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

A Byron Harrison penalty gave Barrow an early lead only for history to repeat itself as Tranmere scored in added time at the end with the game ending in a well-earned draw.





Dixon, Barthram, MacDonald, Audel, Diarra, Panayiotou, Hall, Gomis, Holt, Harrison, Jones


White, Yussuf, Bauress, Diagne, Makoma


88′: Bauress replaced Jones
88′: White replaced Holt
90+3′: Diagne replaced Hall


Harrison (5′, penalty)


Hall (42′, foul on Cole)

Jones (54′)

Gomis (65′, foul on Hughes)


Tranmere Rovers:

Taylor, Buxton, Sutton, McNulty, Harris, Cook, Norwood, Jennings, Norburn, Cole, Clarke


Ridehalgh, Kirby, Hughes, Piling, Gumbs


59′: Hughes replaced Harris
66′: Kirby replaced Cole
77′: Ridehalgh replaced Buxton (injured)


Norwood (90+3)


Norburn (foul on Panayiotou, 34′)

Hughes (79′)


368 visiting fans swelled the Holker Street crowd to 1,470 and created a cup tie atmosphere, matched on the pitch by end-to-end entertainment and intensity on both sides from start to finish.

A Byron Harrison penalty gave Barrow an early lead only for history to repeat itself as Tranmere scored in added time at the end with the game ending in a well-earned draw.

Only four minutes in, a goalmouth scramble following a Jones free kick first resulted in Barrow fans shouting for a handball in the area, only for Grant Holt to be felled seconds later. Byron Harrison blasted the spot kick past Rhys Taylor into the bottom left corner.

Three minutes later, an excellent ball into the area by Dan Jones was only in need of a tap in for a second. Another three minutes on, Ollie Norburn crossed dangerously across Barrow’s goal but again found no-one to add the vital touch.

In the 21st minute, a James Norwood shot from the left was blocked by Joel Dixon. At the other end six minutes later, two good corners from Dan Jones were cleared.

On the half-hour, Dixon saved a long-range effort from Jay Harris and two minutes later did extremely well to save a close-range shot from Norwood following a through ball from Norburn.

Norburn was then booked for a foul on Harry Panayiotou as Barrow threatened to break. A 37th minute break from a Barrow throw by Eddy Clarke gave Larnell Cole a good chance on Barrow’s goal but he blasted skywards.

Although Asa Hall was booked for a foul on Cole 5 minutes later, Barrow had two great chances to extend the 1-0 lead in added time at the end of the first half. First a ball from Panayiotou gave Barrow’s man of the match Callum MacDonald a strike which was deflected inches wide of the post. Following the Panayiotou corner kick, Bedsente Gomis hit the crossbar from the edge of the area.

The second half continued in the same thrilling vein. Five minutes in, following a foul on Cole, a powerful 25 yard Adam Buxton free kick was well caught by Dixon.
As the hour approached, a Buxton corner was headed wide and Harris was replaced by Jeff Hughes.

At the other end, a cross from Holt found Panayiotou deep inside the area. Unfortunately, he fired wide of the right post when he probably had time to propel the ball goalwards.

Three minutes later, the action was back with Tranmere as Dixon came out to block a rapid break by Jennings.

In the 65th minute, Gomis was booked for a foul on Hughes. After Tranmere brought on Jake Kirby for Cole, Buxton’s free kick flew wide of the post. In the 77th minute, Liam Ridehalgh replaced Buxton who was stretchered off after five minutes treatment on the pitch following a bad fall.

Rovers had now made all three changes, Barrow’s first changes coming in the 88th minute as Bradley Bauress and Jordan White came on for Jones and Holt to see out the remainder of the game, which included ten minutes of added time.

In the first minute of time added Asa Hall went down injured and was replaced by Tony Diagne after treatment. Perhaps the enforced substitution took Barrow’s eye off the ball because seconds later, the Rovers midfield finally found a way through, Norwood equalising from close range.

Barrow finished strongly, coming close to retaking the lead in the final two minutes before the end, Bauress testing the Rovers defence both with a free kick then a cross. However, we had to be content with a draw which given the multitude of chances and the entertainment provided by both sides, seems a fair result.


Barrow 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

Attendance: 1470 (368 Visiting Fans)


Thanks to Derek for the report.