Match Report – Barrow 1-2 Solihull Moors

Match Report - Barrow 1-2 Solihull Moors

The Bluebirds fell to defeat at The Furness Building Society Stadium to a rejuvenated Solihull Moors side who took all three points thanks to a 84th minute penalty from James Reckford.





Dixon, Barthram, MacDonald, Dunne, Diarra, White, Hall, Gomis, Holt, Harrison, Jones


Audel, Yussuf, Panayiotou, Diagne, Makoma


67′: Yussuf replaced Harrison
76′: Makoma replaced Jones
85′: Panayiotou replaced White


Hall (55′)


Dixon (14′, foul on Osborne)


Solihull Moors:

O’Leary, Green, Carter, Murombedzi, Reckord, Green, Carline, Daly, Kelleher, Osborne, Thomas


Bowen, Afolayan, Frempah, Storer, Martinez


90+2: Bowen replaced Murombedzi


Carter (57′), Reckord (84′, penalty)


Osborne (62′)


The Bluebirds fell to defeat at The Furness Building Society Stadium to a rejuvenated Solihull Moors side who took all three points thanks to a 84th minute penalty from James Reckford.

It might have been different had we continued as we started. In the 3rd minute, the Moors goal was under siege as an Asa Hall shot was first parried and then Jordan White headed over from close range.

Moors grew into the game and in the 14th minute, following a ball forward by James Reckord, Jamey Osborne had the goal in his sights. Joel Dixon miskicked and then brought down Osborne. To the relief of the Barrow fans, especially, with no keeper on the bench due to Stuart Moore’s illness, there were defenders in front of goal and the card was yellow. Darren Carter’s free kick was headed out for a corner which was well defended.

In the 18th minute, Barrow were again on the attack. Following a good tackle to gain possession, Bedsente Gomis threaded the ball through to Grant Holt in the area. Holt’s legs were clipped but no penalty was awarded by the referee.

Six minutes later, a Holt cross was headed out for a corner but Jack Barthram’s kick came to nothing.

Although a shot from range by Carter went wide of the left post in the 33rd minute, Barrow appeared to have regained control of proceedings. Two minutes later, an Osborne foul on Gomis brought a 25 yard free power kick from Dan Jones which was well saved by Max O’Leary.

Despite a further corner, this time from Jones, three minutes before the break, the score remained a frustrating 0-0 at Half Time.

Right from the restart an opportunistic long range shot from the Moors caught Dixon off his line; to his relief the ball ended up on the roof of the net. Less than two minutes into the second half, following a foul on Gomis, Jones had a chance on goal with a 20 yard free kick but his effort sailed well over.

In the 55th minute, Barrow finally made the breakthrough as a long throw from Jones was headed in by Hall. Unfortunately, this good work was undone 90 seconds later as a quick Moors attack appeared to take us by surprise, Darren Carter firing in from the left past Dixon.

In the 63rd minute, after Osborne was booked for a foul, a Jones free kick from near the half way line was headed powerfully by Jimmy Dunne into the arms of O’Leary. Soon after, Adi Yussuf replaced Byron Harrison, his 70th minute cross being deflected for a corner.

By now, there was a fresh confidence in Moors, their flowing attacks contrasting with Barrow unable to keep possession saw the visitors begin to press forward. A James Rekord free kick in the 81st minute was dealt with, but two minutes later, a move down the right eluded Barrow’s defence. Osborne advanced from the corner and, once in the area, was brought down by a mistimed challenge from Moussa Diarra. Reckord’s spot kick was fired into the right side, giving Dixon no chance.

Harry Panayiotou then replaced Jordan White for Barrow’s final change with Moors’ original eleven still on the pitch. In the 89th minute, a ball forward by Dunne saw Yussuf fire the ball along the goalline from the left- but no-one could oblige with the touch to send it over the line.

In the third minute of added time, a final chance came for Barrow with a free kick from Gomis- but to no avail.

Barrow 1-2 Solihull Moors

Attendance: 1315 (26 visitors)


Our thanks to Derek for the fantastic report.