Match Report – Barrow 2 – 1 Boreham Wood

Match Report - Barrow 2 - 1 Boreham Wood

You can read our match report from today’s fantastic 2-1 win over Boreham Wood here.


Our thanks to Derek for the fantastic report.

Barrow: Moore, Barthram, Jones, Dunne, Diarra, Nieskens, Harvey, Hall, Gomis, Yussuf, Harrison

Subs: Dixon, White, Bauress, Makoma, Panayiotou

GOALS: Gomis (2), Barthram (37)

Gomis (18),
Dunne (62, foul on Kane Smith)

Sent Off:
Harvey (45+3, foul on Champion)


Boreham Wood: Grant Smith, Kane Smith, Ricketts, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Jeffers, Turley, Balanta

Subs: Woodards, Wells, Benson, Sach, Keita

GOAL: Andrade (38)


Playing for the whole of the second half with 10-men, Barrow turned in an impressive characterful display, overcoming set-backs to gain a crucial 3 points.

The afternoon started well; Boreham Wood kicked off in the warm sun but allowed two Barrow attacks to penetrate towards the goal; Byron Harrison had the first shot on goal only a minute in, firing at the keeper from inside the area.

Less than a minute later, Bedsente Gomis beat Grant Smith from a similar position, placing his shot into the right corner for an early lead.

Five minutes later, Dan Jones shot just over the bar from range. A Kane Smith shot for the visitors went well wide in the 10th minute but a minute later Stuart Moore was forced into a close range save from Ricky Shakes, following a long ball from Stephens and cross from Balanta.

It was now end-to-end play as good work by Gomis and Barthram set up Alex-Ray Harvey for a shot which went wide. In the 15th minute, following a long Dan Jones throw, a Moussa Diarra shot from within the area was blocked.

As the match increased in intensity, Gomis received a booking in the 18th minute following a scuffle between the teams.

A 24th minute collision between Stuart Moore and Shuan Jeffers led to both players receiving treatment.

In the 37th minute, Barrow broke away rapidly from a Boreham Wood free kick, Yussuf and Gomis breaking through the defence, enabling Jack Barthram to precisely roll the ball past Smith for 2-0.

The euphoria lasted less than a minute. Possibly the kick he’d received earlier affected his concentration but Moore failed to hold a catch, dropping it at the feet of Bruno Andrade who capitalised on the error to peg Barrow back to 2-1.

Things turned even worse for the Bluebirds in the five minutes of added time. A challenge by Harvey on Tom Champion in the third minute of added time was deemed worthy of a red card.

Two minutes later, Balanta crashed a long-range effort into Barrow’s crossbar.

Suddenly relieved to go in with the narrow lead intact, Barrow faced a gruelling 50 minutes with a man down.

With the fans behind them all the way, the players turned in a battling performance, defending every ball and even creating the better of the second half chances.

After a shot two minutes after the restart from Andrade which went wide, Boreham Wood tried fresh legs; within 10 minutes of the restart Sach replaced Jeffers and 10 minutes later Benson came on for Turley.

Still, (and despite Jimmy Dunne also being yellow-carded) the 10 men of Barrow never gave up with Boreham Wood struggling to find a way through the resolute defence.

With 20 minutes of normal time remaining, Harry Panayiotou replaced Byron Harrison.

In the 71st minute, Boreham Wood made a rare foray towards goal, Andrade shooting wide from the edge of the area. A minute later, a ball forward by Kane Smith was headed into Moore’s arms by Benson. Moore then punched away a couple of Boreham Wood corners as it looked like Barrow might be flagging.

The Bluebirds however rallied, as Adi Yussuf ran goalwards in the 77th minute and shot over the bar. Three minutes late a Jones throw reached Panayioutou who crossed for Yussuf to plant a header into Grant Smith’s arms. Four minutes later, Yussuf shot over from the edge of the area and then we forced the visitors to defend a corner and free kick.

There was nearly a sting in the tail after Moore saved a sharp shot from Kane Smith in the 86th minute.

The crowd of 1,159 was announced followed by five minutes of nail-biting extra time. Two minutes in White replaced Yussuf.

Five minutes in, Boreham Wood were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. In what turned out to be the last kick of the game, Moore atoned for his earlier error, superbly punching the top corner bound shot away to his left.

After the full time whistle went, the players came over to the fans to receive a deserved ovation. Dan Jones was awarded Barrow’s Man of the Match but the whole team deserve plaudits for a team victory well earned.