Match Report – Barrow 3-1 Aldershot

Match Report - Barrow 3-1 Aldershot

Our match report from Saturday’s fantastic win over Aldershot Town.





Our thanks to Derek for the report.

Barrow: Moore, Barthram, Bauress, Thompson, Bignot, Hughes, Hall, Gomis, Clements, Yussuf, Harrison

Subs: Dixon, White, Panayiotou, Diagne, Makoma

GOALS: Yussuf (5, 39, 65)

Booked: Harrison (11), Yussuf (32), Hughes (70, foul on Kellermann)

Aldershot Town: Smith, Alexander, Evans, Dyeleke, Rendell, Mensah, Kellermann, Rowe, McDonnell, Arthur, Reynolds

Subs: Cole, Okojie, Gallagher, Fowler, Pring

GOAL: McDonnell (47)Booked: Dyeleke (76, foul on Gomis), Rendell (82)

The Ady Pennock era got off to a flying start with a solid Bluebirds team performance, a hat-trick from Adi Yussuf, and a thoroughly deserved three points. The 1,128 crowd included 67 Shots supporters and within 5 minutes the home contingent had something to celebrate.

Playing towards the Holker Street end, Chris Clements threaded the ball through the Shots defence via Byron Harrison to Yussuf who calmly slotted in his first goal of the day.

Five minutes later, Bradley Bauress intercepted a ball meant for Callum Reynolds and passed to Harrison, who ran from the left into the penalty area. Harrison then went to ground and, despite protestations he had been fouled, found himself on the receiving end of a yellow card.

Inspired by gutsy interventions from Clements, Barrow continued on the front foot. On the half hour, a goal bound Bedsente Gomes shot was blocked.

Aldershot’s first corner came in the 36th minute when Liam Hughes head out a dangerous Bernard Mensah cross. However, Rowe’s kick was cleared and three minutes later, Barrow went two ahead. A long kick from Stuart Moore found its way to Yussuf whose precise shot from the light flashed past the keeper just inside the far post.

The 2-0 lead at the break was the least Barrow deserved in a half when the decisions from the officials had tended to favour Aldershot, the visitors replacing Arthur with Gallagher. However, a rather soft free kick awarded just over a minute into the second half did punish the Bluebirds when Adam McDonnells’ 30 yard effort went through all the players into the right side of the goal. Two minutes later, McDonnell tested Moore with a shot from the left and then a Mensah effort went wide as Barrow appeared, for a short time, to be on the ropes.

Thankfully, the revival proved short lived and, indeed another pair of fresh legs- Okojile coming on for Rowe in the 64th minute- seemed to unsettle the Shots. A minute later, Yussuf broke through the defence to find himself with only Smith to beat. He calmly rounded the keeper and rolled the ball from 20 yards just inside the left post.

Five minutes later, Yussuf was through on goal again, his shot heading just inside the right post being saved by Smith.
In the 70th minute, Hughes was booked for a foul on Kellermann, McDonnell’s 25 yard free kick being saved by Moore. Five minutes later Yussuf, having scored his hat-trick, was replaced by Jordan White.

In the 81st minute, a long-range shot by captain Asa Hall went wide of the left post. Rendell was then booked and Harry Panayiotou came on for Gomis.

In the 84th minute, a Will Evans 25 yard effort was saved by Moore and then, at the other end, Smith had to dive to his left to save a Panayiotou shot. In the 88th minute, White headed down in front of goal for Harrison but he shot wide from close range.

Still 3-1 after four minutes of added time, the Barrow players and manager celebrated with each other and the fans. They received a thoroughly deserved ovation for a superb team effort. With man of the match Yussuf holding the match ball proudly, this was a much needed confidence booster from which to move onwards and upwards.