New boys impress in debut win.

New boys impress in debut win.

A debut goal for for Adi Yussuf and a solid defensive display was enough for the Bluebirds to claim a victory over Stockport County in a lively encounter at Edgeley Park.


BARROW: Moore, Audel, Jones, Nieskens, Dunne, Diarra, Gomis, Harvey, White, Yussuf, Hall

SUBS: Hughes, Bauress, Fitzpatrick, Makoma, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist


STOCKPORT: Hinchcliffe, Minihan, Duxbury, Winter, Clarke, O’Halloran, McKenna, Walker, Oswell, Ball, Stephenson

SUBS: Cowan, Ormson, Smalley, Brazil, West, Hampson





A debut goal for Adi Yussuf and a solid defensive display was enough for the Bluebirds to claim a victory over Stockport County in a lively encounter at Edgeley Park.

Barrow lined up with two new recruits in their starting eleven with forward Adi Yussuf, who signed earlier in the day from Grimsby Town, and Dutch defender David Nieskins on display.

The home side started brightly, forcing the Barrow defence into conceding a succession of corners. They were unable to capitalise on them however, with the Bluebirds keeper Stuart Moore untested beyond a solid punch clear.

The visitors then found a foothold in the game and took the lead after 13 minutes. New signing Adi Yussuf found himself in possession of the ball on the edge of the box and showed good footwork to get a yard of space and fire past Ben Hinchcliffe in the Stockport goal.

County then had their first clear goal scoring opportunity. Forward Darren Stephenson found himself one on one with Moore, but he couldn’t find the back of the net.

The impressive Yussuf was already proving a handful for the home defence and looked to be clear again, only for a solid tackle from Steve O’Halloran to stop him in his tracks.

On 28 minutes Stockport were awarded a free kick in a dangerous area, the resulting effort well saved by Moore.

Barrow midfielder Asa Hall then had two opportunities to score, first latching onto a ball played over the top, forcing Hinchcliffe into making a save, before firing wide from 18 yards.

Without any additional time, the half time whistle blew with the Bluebirds having grown into the game after a strong start from the home side.

After the restart the visitors should have been ahead almost immediately.

Adi Yussuf worked hard yet again to find space, before his shot cannoned off the crossbar, Asa Hall unable to find the target on the follow up.

Just a minute later the pair linked up again, Yussuf finding his way into the penalty area and squaring the ball to Hall, but the midfielder couldn’t find a way past the home keeper.

On 55 minutes Barrows second signing of the day, David Nieskens, had a fantastic chance to double their lead when he got on the end of a dangerous free kick, his header going just over the bar.

After a trialist replaced Thierry Audel, the game settled down, a wayward shot from Yussuf on 60 minutes producing the only moment of note.

Stockport County had the best of the next 20 minutes, Stephenson finding himself one on one with Stuart Moore yet again, this time firing over the crossbar.

After Harry Panayiotou replaced Asa Hall on 85 minutes, the Bluebirds last real chance of the game fell to Bedsente Gomis. An intricate one-two in the box between Yussuf and Gomis saw the latter six yards from goal, but the Frenchman was unable to get any power on a shot.

The full time whistle blew to confirm the win for Barrow, an impressive debut from Adi Yussuf and solid defending from the Bluebirds back line being the highlights on a pleasant afternoon in Greater Manchester.