Recap – Barrow v Dagenham & Redbridge

Recap - Barrow v Dagenham & Redbridge

Many thanks to Derek for his excellent work in writing this match recap. The match highlights are also up at

Barrow: Flatt, Beeley, Anderton, Livesey, Diarra, Hughes, Harvey, Turnbull, Tuton, Bennett, Meikle
88: Effiong replaced Bennett
90+3: Wright replaced Tuton
90+5: Thomas replaced Hughes

GOALS: Hughes (39, penalty); Diarra (57)

Booked: Beeley (47, foul on Okenabirhie), Panayiotou (After match) Tuton (After match)

Dagenham and Redbridge: Justham, Widdowson, Doe, Robson, Okenabirhie, Hawkins, Maguire-Drew, Boucard, Whitely, Donnellan, Sheppard
61: Romain replaced Maguire-Drew
79: Staunton replaced Okenabirhie

Booked: Staunton (85, foul on Bennett), Boucard (After match)

GOAL: Whiteley (11)

Barrow overcame the away day woes at Eastleigh last Saturday to turn in another inspired comeback performance against a top four team. Ten days ago it was Tranmere Rovers who were turned over; today it was Dagenham and Redbridge.

Two minutes in, the Daggers had an early chance on goal when Jordan Maguire-Drew was tripped near the edge of the area; however his free kick sailed just over the bar.

A good break by Bennett, Meikle and Harvey five minutes later resulted in a Turnbull corner which was headed just wide of the right post by Bennett.

However, ten minutes in a Joe Widdowson shot was deflected out for a Corey Whiteley corner from the left. His inswinging kick went past everyone straight into the far top corner for the lead.

Despite this setback, Barrow continued to press in an evenly matched half. In the 22nd minute, we came close to levelling as a ball from Harvey to Hughes was crossed to Turnbull whose shot was deflected just wide of the right post.

Four minutes later, Whiteley shot over Flatt’s bar following a corner and two minutes after that a good ball from Anderton gave Bennett a long-range effort which went wide.

In the 39th minute, a great challenge by Diarra set up a break by Bennett. Passing to Meikle, Bennett ran into the area to intercept a cross and was pushed over, the referee immediately awarding Barrow a penalty kick which Hughes fired into the left corner for 1-1.

A fired-up Barrow were now in ascendancy and, as against Tranmere, dominated the second period. In the 53rd minute, Diarra headed an Anderton cross just wide of the right post.

Four minutes later, a foul on Meikle and a Turnbull free kick resulted in intense pressure from Barrow in the box; a header from Hughes and shot from Livesey were blocked, the ball rebounding to Moussa Diarra on the right who fired past Justham for what would prove to be the winner.

Another minute later a Hughes power shot was saved by Justham and on the hour, Romain replaced Maguire-Drew. In the 67th minute, Justham saved from Meikle who had won back the ball following a Turnbull corner.

There was a nail-biting moment when Fejiri Okenabirhie fired across goal from a Boucard free kick in the 75th minute, Anderton having to receive treatment defending the effort.

Josh Staunton then replaced Okenabirhie but Barrow had another chance on goal in the 81st minute when, following a cross by Anderton, Justham had a save a Hughes header. A Bennett shot was then deflected for a corner and a long range effort from Harvey was saved.

With three minutes of normal time remaining, we made our first change as Inih Effiong came on for Richie Bennett. The crowd of 1,102 (with 59 visiting fans) was announced as a thrilling finale was played out, the Daggers going all out to rescue a point. In the first minute of added time, a Whiteley corner was blocked at close range but Barrow broke away and earned a corner at the other end. Akil Wright then came on for Shaun Tuton and, with three minutes of added time played, Romain headed over Barrow’s bar from close range. Jack Thomas then replaced Liam Hughes as extra time expanded from five minutes to over seven.

However, the three points were Barrow’s and the crowd gave the players a deserved ovation, Moussa Diarra being awarded Man of the Match. With Gateshead, Dover and Aldershot also winning we remain in 8th place but have closed the gap on the play-off places. An excellent effort from the lads which bodes well for the home tie with Wrexham on Tuesday evening.